GKN Quality Engineer in Newton, North Carolina
Country: United States
Work Location: Newton
State: North Carolina
Advertising End Date: Not Specified
Job Type: Regular
About The Opportunity
Coordinate with the warranty team to complete the warranty process in order to improve customer satisfaction by ensuring timely and effective response on product anomaly identification, resolution, and warranty cost reduction.
o Responsible for the implementation and maintenance of the warranty management process as aligned with GKN and customer requirements.
o Define the methods and procedures for effective warranty part analysis.
o Responsible for collection and analysis of customer warranty data and Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s). Maintain and utilise the global warranty cost database.
o Analyse warranty data for the early detection of warranty peaks and reliability risk predictions. Feedback Engineering, Manufacturing and other cross functional teams when appropriate.
o Coordinate with customer to retrieve parts that failed in the field either from customer warranty centres or directly from customer sites.
o Lead the parts return investigation with support from cross functional team to establish root cause and liability. Minimize number of NTF cases
o Provide timely reporting of the part return investigation results to the customer and conclude liability. Retain appropriate documented information and warranty parts as evidence of analysis.
o Engage in regular customer meetings to develop working relationship:
o Review current warranty performance and agree/modify liability rates based on warranty parts analysis.
o Participate or lead technical factor negotiations.
o Assure that permanent corrective actions have been defined/implemented for each GKN’s liability warranty claim. Track the effectiveness of corrective actions in the medium/long term
o Provide info / record info in the global Lessons Learned database
o Track warranty costs and collaborate with finance team to identify ‘Ordinary costs’ and ‘Extraordinary costs’. Review warranty economic impact and make appropriate provisions.
o Review customer warranty debit/credit notes and make the corresponding objections to avoid over-payments
o Assure that all warranty debit/credit notes are approved according to GKN Corporate Governance Guidelines
o Develop warranty improvement roadmaps to meet customer and business objectives. Utilize and modify roadmaps when appropriate.
o Undertake training when identified to improve business capability and allow for changes in technology and quality requirements. Continuously improve field quality sub function.
Product Safety Responsibilities
o Adhere to the GKN Product Safety Policy and Product Safety Procedure.
o Immediately report PPSI (Potential Product Safety and Integrity) concerns to the Quality Manager in production or the Chief Engineer in development.
An organisation chart should be attached, showing above, peer to and below this role.
Role Reports to Quality & Risk Manager
Role has a Matrix Report to
Number of Direct Reports Click here to enter text.
Total Headcount Managed Click here to enter text.
Number of Matrix Reports Click here to enter text.
Business Unit Click here to enter text.
Revenue / Operating Budget (Full Responsibility) in £M Click here to enter text. Choose an item.
Key Internal Relationships Laboratory, Customer Quality, Manufacturing, Engineering, Finance
Key External Relationships Customers
Qualification and Skills
University Degree in technical field or equivalent
Click here to enter text.
Specific Functional Capabilities, Knowledge and Skills Required
• Customer communication skills (written and verbal)
• Formal problem solving skills (5WHYs, 8D, fishbone, PPS, etc)
• Experience with core quality tools, including SPC, PPAP, DFMEA and PFMEA
• Experience conducting RCFAs (root cause failure analyses) on products
• Experience working in a Quality Function
• Operation and development of warranty management systems
• Experience working with product warranties and analysing warranty data
• Knowledge of customer standards and requirements
• Interpretation of drawings and technical specifications (including GD&T)
• Experience/training with ISO/TS 16949 systems
• Understanding of GKN driveline products and processes
• Experiment analysis such as MSA
• Lean Principles, Continuous Improvement, or Six Sigma training
• Is self-aware and aware of others. Recognises what people need and responds flexibly.
• Is positive and proactive; Self-motivated and able to motivate others.
• Values continuous learning and growth; Learns from mistakes and identifies opportunities.
• Takes ownership of actions, performance, and ways of working. Has personal credibility and impact.
• Does the right thing and is constantly looks for better ways to do things. Challenges assumptions and looks for evidence.
• Develops personal objectives that align to company goals. Has clear purpose and CI plan linked to vision.
• Develops performance and provides feedback; mentors and influences others.
• Supports team through changes, ensuring two way communications.
• Constantly develops own performance, focusing on speed, efficiency, and effective execution. Focused on continuous improvement and problem solving.
• Commits to building relationships with customers and colleagues. Works effectively with diverse teams. Measures success through the eyes of the customer.
Language Skills (Highlight if Essential or Desired)
Local language - Essential
English - Essential
GKN is a global engineering business. We design, manufacture and service systems and components for most of the world’s leading aircraft, vehicle and machinery manufacturers. We are continuously evolving, pioneering new technologies and reinventing existing ones, stretching ourselves to better in everything we do. GKN operates three divisions: GKN Aerospace, GKN Driveline and GKN Powder Metallurgy employing 56,000 people in more than 30 countries.
GKN Driveline is the market leader in the development and delivery of contemporary and electrified driveline systems and solutions. With a comprehensive global footprint, we design, develop, manufacture and integrate an extensive range of driveline technologies for over 90% of the world’s automotive manufacturers.
Diversity and Inclusion
As a global engineering company, innovation is what differentiates us from our competitors and is central to our success.
A balance of cultures, ethnicities and genders help bring new ideas and creativity to GKN. We need people of different backgrounds, with different skills and perspectives to spark originality, imagination and creativeness in our teams around the world.
GKN is an equal opportunity employer.
We treat all our employees and applicants fairly and are committed to ensuring that there is no discrimination or harassment against any employee or qualified applicant on the grounds of age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality, sex, or veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.